Aziz Ansari responds to sexual assault allegations
The Master of None star is responding to serious allegations.
On Sunday evening, Jan. 14, 2018, Aziz Ansari released a statement after being accused of sexual assault by a 23-year-old Brooklyn-based photographer.
"In September of last year, I met a woman at a party," began Ansari's statement (via Entertainment Tonight). "We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual."Meryl Streep: scandal can lead to change
Ansari, 34, continued, "The next day, I got a text from her saying that although 'it may have seemed okay,' upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said."
"I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture," the comedian concluded, in reference to the #MeToo and Time's Up movements, which are combating sexual harassment and sexual assault. "It is necessary and long overdue."
As Nicki Swift previously reported, a woman, who went by Grace to protect her anonymity, accused the former Parks and Recreation star of making unwanted sexual advances during an interview with Babe on Saturday, Jan. 13. She claimed that, despite her indications that she was uncomfortable and uninterested in engaging sexual activity, the stand-up comedian was persistent. At one point, she told him that she didn't "want to feel forced," but ultimately, she told Babe, she "felt really pressured."Takei’s explicit Howard Stern interview
"Last night might've been fun for you, but it wasn't for me," she texted Ansari the following evening. "You ignored clear non-verbal clues; you kept going with advances. I want to make sure you're aware so maybe the next girl doesn't have to cry on the ride home."
"I'm so sad to hear this," he replied. "Clearly, I misread things in the moment and I'm truly sorry."
Grace came forward with her allegations one week after the Time's Up movement made an impact at the 2018 Golden Globes, where Ansari sported a Time's Up pin while accepting the award for Best Actor in a TV Series. "I believe that I was taken advantage of by Aziz," she said. "I was not listened to and ignored. It was by far the worst experience with a man I've ever had."Aaron Carter opens up about reconciliation with brother Nick
Ansari is, unfortunately, only one of multiple men in Hollywood to be accused of sexual misconduct in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.